The Moth Presents: Review

I have always loved hearing peoples stories.  I love hearing about peoples lives and what makes them them.  It makes sense that I would love this book.  Let me tell you a bit about The Moth.


I had never heard of The Moth before.  I'm not a big podcast listener, just never found the time.  The Moth is a weekly podcast compiling several stories pulled from live talks about real life stories.  Their motto is that everyone has a story (so very very true isn't it).  The Moth decided to compile a small amount of the hundreds of stories into a book (with an absolutely beautiful cover).

I started reading this book the day it arrived in the mail.  I had to actually make myself put it down so that I wouldn't finish it that night.  It was absolutely compelling.  Each story either makes you laugh or cry or sit and think hard about choices that were or are being made.  The stories are only a few pages each which makes it easy to read if you only have a few minutes a day to sit down.

You may recognize some of the names, others you most likely have never heard of.  There are stories  from people like comedian Louis C.K., actor John Turturro and author Meg Wolitzer.  There are also stories from non profit organizers, religious leaders and newspaper columnists.  There are stories from all aspects of life.  The forward is written by author Neil Gaiman.  That right there has to tell you that it is good!!!

There is a story from a Holocaust survivor, a son who is just trying to be a good child and brother by visiting his brother in a mental ward on a regular basis, a story from a woman in the Women's Royal Naval Service and what life was like for her.

You can follow The Moth on Twitter and Facebook.  Make sure to add The Moth your podcast list or start listening.  I promise you that you will not be disappointed.  I have enjoyed going back and listening to older podcasts (some of the stories are included in this book).

I was sent an advanced copy of this book from the publisher and Blogging for Book.  It is now available for sale at major retailers.

Comments