Family Passport Wallet Tutorial

A few weeks ago I was browsing one of my favorite websites (Pinterest of course) and was searching for a family passport wallet tutorial.  Sadly I am not looking for this for myself (I wish!) but for a couple of other families that I know.  I was shocked that I couldn't find a tutorial anywhere. What do you do when you can't find what you want?  You make it!!

Family of 4 Passport Wallet Tutorial:


What you will need:
* 2 fat quarters
*elastic or ribbon (4" in length)
*button
*water soluble marker
*coordinating thread








Using your two fat quarters (or equivalent fabric pieces) cut the following:

Lining fabric:
A. 9 1/2" X 4 1/4"
B. 9 1/2" X 6 1/4"
C. 9 1/2" X 8 1/4"

Outer fabric:
D. 9 1/2" X 8 1/4"

Here we go!

1. Take piece A and fold down 1/2" on the 9 1/2" side.  Iron crisp and sew using a 1/4" seam allowance. (please excuse my disgusting ironing board cover, it has been well used)
2. Take piece B and fold down 1/2" on the 9 1/2" side.  Iron crisp and sew using a 1/4" seam allowance. Pieces A and B should now look like this:

3. Place B on top of C.  Mark a line with your marker 4 1/4" down from the edge you had just sewn.  Sew across this line forming a pocket.
Pieces A and B/C should now look like this:
4. Place A on top of B/C.  If needed, baste.
5. Stitch a button on the printed side of D.  Sew the button at least one inch from the edge.

6. With right sides facing, lay piece D on top of ABC.  Place your elastic in the middle of the 8 1/4" side.

7. Using a 1/4" seam allowance sew around the perimeter leaving a 2" space for turning.

8. Cut your corners and turn.  Iron flat.

9. Top stitch around the entire perimeter using a 1/8" seam allowance.

10. Find the middle of your wallet.  Draw a line down the entire piece with your marker and stitch down the middle.

Fill it up or give it away!


**Feel free to make as many as you want to give away!  Please contact me if you would like to sell these.  If mentioning my wallets on your blog or other media please refer back to my original post.

Looking for a 6 family wallet?  Added tutorial coming soon!

I would love to see what you have made!  Post your pictures on my facebook page!

Comments

  1. Hi! This looks great! I am needing a holder that will hold 6 passports. Do you think you would be able to pass on the amount of fabric you would think i would need? Thanks! :) - Liz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for this pattern! I just made two and I'm pleased as punch with myself. LOL. I added a layer of interfacing to give it a bit of stiffness. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment