Book Review: King Rules

**This post is sponered by Thomas Nelson Publishing. They sent me this book to review. All opinions are my own and are never swayed by the publisher.**

Today's review is on Alveda King's book King Rules. Alveda King is the neice of Martin Luther King Jr. Her father and MLK were brothers. She is the guardian to the King family legacy.

You may think that this is just another history book on MLK. It is nothing of the sort. When reading this book I felt like I was having a conversation with the author. The book is very easy to read and very personable. With only 185 pages it is a very fast read as well.

Her book is divided in to ten rules. These ten rules are Alveda's recollections of principles, lessons and truths and she has learned from her uncle as well as other family members.

I am not going to go into specifics of each chapter but I will list them below as well as share excerpts from chapters that really made an impact with me.

Rule 1: Make Home A Priority

I wanted to share an excerpt from this chapter. I really enjoyed this chapter. I fully agree that everyone needs to make sure that home is a priority.

"My daddy used to say people spend more time trying to make a living than they do making a life, and that's especially true when you think about how people try to fill their houses with symbols of wealth."

Rule 2: Serve Your Family

Rule 3: Get A Good Education

"As a society we can't condemn our children to repeating the mistakes of their parents when we can help them avoid those mistakes."

Rule 4: Guard Your Heart

Rule 5: Defend Life

Rule 6: Fight for Justice

"...we need to change the system so it doesn't penalize intact families. Right now it is far more profitable for welfare recipients to be single parents...we need to set up a sysytem in which we subsidize people while they are learning a trade or profession, with the understanding that, over the course of five years, this subsidy will go down to nothing."

Rule 7: Carre for the Needy

Rule 8: Work for Peace

Rule 9: Build the Beloved Community

Rule 10: Find Your Joy

This book is a great read. Not only is it filled with principles that I agree with but you also hear about the struggles and failures of Alveda as well as how she deals and lives with those failures and struggles on a daily basis. There is a portion of this book that brought tears to my eyes. There are portions where I laughed out loud.

I don't recommend too many books but I do recommend this one. I enjoyed it and plan on passing it along to friends who are interested.

 



 

 

Comments