Our journey with fermentation.

A few days ago the husband started showing interest in fermenting things. I was a little excited because I have been wanting to ferment for awhile but was too nervous to try it on my own.

The other day I checked out Katz book, The Art of Fermentation for him. It is a great book and a recommended read if you choose to venture in to fermentation. The only thing that I do not like about the book is that it doesn't give any recipes but hey...there is always the internet.

So, the husband decided he wanted to try his hand at making meade (fermented honey wine). I chose to make kombucha (fermented tea) and kefir (a practically lactose free dairy drink). We both started our projects today and will be periodically updating our progress.

I bought some kombucha SCOBY (mother) and some kefir grains from someone on craigslist. If you decide to make either of these items for yourself make sure to give craigslist a check. You can usually buy your starters for the fraction of the cost than online suppliers. Also as a bonus, you do not have to rehydrate your mothers which takes a additional 30 days. These starters are ready to use. I will be straining my first batch of kefir tomorrow morning. I'm really excited to give it a try.

Here is what my starters looked like this morning when I picked them up. The kombucha looks pretty disgusting right? It will be a bit hard for me to get past the look.

 

Comments