A little springtime makeover!

I started a project I thought I could finish in three days.

That was ELEVEN days ago.

One evening the husband was out of the house. I was in the living room staring at our wallpaper. All of a sudden I had the urge to rip it all down.

Maybe I should back up. When we moved in to our home, almost 3 years ago, we had decided that the wallpaper wasn't terrible and we could live with it in the meantime.

Not hideous, just not my style.

Ok, so I lived with it for almost three years. I couldn't take it anymore. My plan was to remove the wallpaper in the living room, prime and paint in three days and then move on to the dining room. (More wallpaper and ugly faux wood wainscot).

The paper itself came off easier than I had imagined.

What I hadn't imagined was the wallpaper paste that stayed behind. It took many days of wetting the paste and scraping it. It wasn't terribly difficult but it was extremely time consuming.

Lots of scraping and patching.

After scraping was sanding the walls to remove the left over bits of glue. This was some nasty business. There was (and still is) a whole lot of dust on everything. By the way, I was the first person to ever paint these 110 year old walls! Pretty exciting!

One wall down, three to go.

Eleven days later I still have a small bit of wallpaper and glue behind the tv mount that will need to be removed and then primed but then I will be just about done.

While working on the paper and glue that is around the tv I found several signatures and dates. I'm excited to research these at the library and courthouse.

I already feel much better in my family room and there still isn't color (light taupe) on the walls. I'm hoping to get started on that this weekend.

Making a home your own, even years later, is calming.

---I'll make sure to post when it is completed!

 

Comments