Planet Comicon 2014

I still cannot believe that I was able to attend Planet Comicon this year in Kansas City. 

Planet Comicon is a large three day long geek-fest held in Kansas City each year. This years guests icluded LeVar Burton, Michael Dorn, Jonathan Frakes, Margot Kidder, Lee Majors, Eddie McClintock, SYLVESTER MCCOY, DMC, Gates McFadden, Zoie Palmer, John Ratzenberger, WILLIAM SHATNER, Marina Sirtis, Brent Spiner, Jewel Staite, Femi Taylor, Wil Wheaton, David Yost as well as many graphic book designers and writers (including a major artist from the Walkind Dead series).  

If you can't tell from the list, almost the entire cast of ST:NG was there.  On Sunday they held a special panel hosted by William Shatner.  The husband really wanted to attend it but you had to buy a seperate ticket and the minimum was $75.  OUCH!  Plus, if you wanted an autograph by Shatner that was another $75.  Double ouch!

As soon as I heard that Sylvester McCoy was going to be there I knew that I had to attend somehow.  For those that do not know, Sylvester McCoy was the 7th regeneration of the Doctor on Doctor Who.  He was the last doctor from the original run of the show.  He also played Radagast the Brown on The Hobbit.

Saturday's schedule started at 10am.  The husband and I showed up around 10:30 thinking there wouldn't be a line by then.  Boy were we wrong!  We had to stand in a line that was over three blocks long!  Thankfully the line moved pretty quickly.  We did get to see an Alien with his pod standing outside.  That made the wait more enjoyable.

The first panel I attended was Jewel Staite's who played Kaylee on Firefly.  I LOVE Firefly and was excited to hear her talk.  
I knew Firefly had a large following but I didn't know it was this large here in KC!  Look at the line to get in to her panel!

She was hilarious and very personable.  
I had to sit towards the back of the room since we had to stand in line for so long.

My next panel was LeVar Buron and Brent Spiner.  This panel was AMAZING! It started out with them being absolute goofballs to Jonathan Frakes planting himself in the crowd and acting like an obnoxious guest.  So funny!  Next was Gates McFadden busting in and answering some questions.  It was like our own little ST:NG panel without the extra cost. I had the privledge of asking them the final question for the panel.  

-no pictures for this one.  I ended up standing in line to ask a question the entire time and forgot to bring my phone up with me

**Make sure to check out Kickstarter in May.  Reading Rainbow will be having a campaign to try to lower the cost to bring the RR program into schools!**

My next panel was the big one...THE DOCTOR!!  While the other guests had sat at their table and had a normal panel, Radagast the Brown decided to walk around in the crowd!  Rules be damned!  He was amazing and talked about details of Doctor Who and LOTR that are not publically known.  

The one question I had, that someone else asked, was whether it really was him, Peter Davidson and Colin Baker under the sheets in the 50th Anniversary DW episode.  He would't tell.  What do you think?  (If you don't know what I am talking about, watch The Five(ish) Doctors).

If you are familiar with the 7th then you will know that he played the spoons on DW.  He was asked to play the spoons at Planet Comicon and he did not dissappoint! (check out my Instagram-jecaleanne or Twitter-jecacreations for the video)

The final panel I attended was John Ratzenberger.  It was a tough choice between him and the panel featuring the animators of Archer.  I am pretty happy with our choice.  I learned a lot about Cheers, Pixar and his life.  He is such a great guy.

I am already looking forward to next years Planet Comicon.  I already have my costume ready.  Can you guess?
If you guessed the 5th Doctor, Peter Davidson, then you are correct!! 

Comments