Cheap Living: DIY Laundry Detergent

Does anyone else think laundry detergent is over priced?  Surly I am not the only one.

Over two years ago I thought I would try to make my own.  I am so glad I did!  This stuff works great and costs pennies!

Go buy these supplies: 
*Borax
*Washing Soda
*Fels Naptha

Go gather these supplies: 
*One cup measuring cup
*Spoon
*Large bowl
*Grater of some kind (I used to use a Microplane but the Pamper Chef cheese grater works much better)
*Cute container for your detergent (I used an old Ovaltine container that I covered with scrapbook paper)

Step 1:
Grate your entire bar of Fels Naptha.  It took me 15 minutes to grate it with my PC grater.  It takes a bit longer with a Microplane.  

Step 2: 
Add in 1 cup EACH of Borax and Washing Soda.  Stir. 
**optional: add in 1 cup of booster such as Oxyclean**

Step 3: 
Pour your detergent in to your cute container.

To use: 
Add 1 Tablespoon to your washing machine.  

This works great for HE machines. 

Like I mentioned, I have been using this for two years and have loved it.  I have had the same box of Borax and Washing Soda this entire time.  It doesn't take long to make and it saves you large amounts of money.

Comments