cheap living: Dirty Don's

I love the word frugal.  I also love the word cheap.  If you know me, you know that I am constantly calling myself "cheap."  I welcome it and am proud of it.  I have realized that I am actually pretty good at being "cheap."  

I realized the other day that I should share some of these cheap tips and tricks with my readers.  Today starts part one of a many parted series: Cheap Living (search this title in the future to see many more upcoming posts)

Today's post is on one of my newer favorite cheap places in Kansas City:  Dirty Don's.

I know, the name...it sonds gross and well...dirty.  You wouldn't be that wrong thinking this.  When you pull in to DD it seems a little scary and....yes, dirty.  Don't let this stop you!  Go ahead, take the plunge and walk in the metal barred security doors.  

What is Dirty Don's and what makes it so great?  Where else can you stock up on #10 cans?


Seriously though, DD is a great place to find almost expired and expired food at a greatly reduced price.  Woah!  Expired?  Yes.  Don't be scared of expired food.  Canned food doesn't actually expire.  As long as you have a non-dented can (that is not milk) then it will theoretically never expire.  DD doesn't just sell food either.  They sell diapers, wipes, pet food and toys, cleaning supplies and just about anything you can think of.  Because their stock is always changing you never can tell what will be at there each time you visit. 

Are you in need to a huge roll of tickets?  Only $3.

I guess we should back up and I should tell you how I came to know DD.  The husband was watching TLC's Extreme Cheapskates on Netflix.  One of the episodes featured a woman from Kansas City.  Yep, you guessed it.  She went to Dirty Don's.  Now, back to where we were:

I usually try to go to Dirty Don's once a month to stock up on some essetials.  I also like to go just to see some of the abserd items they have.  Check this ketchup out!  This huge bag that my 3 year old can barely hold was only $5. 


Starbuck VIA's for only $1.75.


Organic baby corn for only $1 a can.

Look at all of those tomatoes!!

I was able to pick up several organic items on my last visit.  I couldn't believe how many different varities they had this time!

If you live in the Kansas City area make sure to give Dirty Don's a try.  Let me know what you think!!

Dirty Don's Bargain Ceter
9700 E 56th Street
Raytown, MO

(near Arrowhead and the K)

**Dirty Don's did not sponser this post.  All comments made are completely my own.

Comments