Mulberries and Strawberries Galore!!

Happy Friday everyone!

Lately, when it's not raining, our weekends have consisted of yard work.

When we bought our house two years ago I LOVED all the gardens, it was a major selling point.

When I say "all" I mean ELEVEN gardens!!! 

Through the two years we have removed one and added one (vegetable) and pretty much by our neglect let the majority become over grown.

*Let me clarify, when we purchased the house it had stood empty for almost two years.  The previous owner to us was not the gardener but was the previous owner to him.  So really the gardens had five years of overgrowth in them*

This year the husband and I made the decision that this was the year of a massive overhaul on the gardens.  This means that we have been removing a minimum of three large bags full of waste and weeds from the gardens each week.

The first week we started we focused primarily on one fence row.  After removing all of the ivy (which I swear is from the devil!  I HATE ivy) we realized that the garden was quite bare.  My plan next year, or the end of season this year, is to purchase some shrubs to cover the bald patches as well as replant some peonies that are growing in random places in our yard.

It doesn't look terrible from this angle.
This is the area I will be concentrating on.  We had a Rose of Sharon tree here but the ivy choked it out and killed it.

This week I have been focusing on the garden that surrounds the back patio.
The girls decided to help me out this morning.  They helped for about 10 minutes until they saw that the garden was roly-poly heaven!


This is where we found that we were the owners of some very nice strawberry plants last summer.  Today I removed a lot of greenery (which was replanted out front)
and weeded and finally mulched the strawberries with straw.
 I am hoping our strawberry yield is a nice one this year.  I didn't realize the plants were there last year until over half way through the growing season.

The husband today was focusing on one side of the garage.  This is where he found numerous mulberry trees.  I couldn't believe it!  Hundreds of little mulberries are growing and ready to be picked soon.  I'm pretty excited and cannot wait to look up some recipes for them on Pinterest later tonight.  (I already found where you can make tea out the leaves)  Of course, first we have to remove the ivy (it seriously grows everywhere!) and remove all of the overgrowth.  This project is probably going to have to be a two week one.  It is a MESS back there!

And look who learned how to climb up on the chair all by herself.

I will try to keep everyone updated as we work to improve our gardens.  How is your gardening going this summer?  Have you found anything new growing or are you planting anything new this year?


Comments

Post a Comment