Spring Pennant Banner DIY

When you think of spring you think of warming weather, sun, short sleeved shirts, playing outside.
Spring missed the message here in Kansas City this year.  We have been hounded by cold weather, snow, freezing rain and bulky winter coats.

To battle this cold nasty gloomy weather I decided the house needed to start looking springy inside.  I decided to come up with a little spring themed banner to hang on my cute little window that is in our foyer.  (We don't have a fire place so I decorate this little window like I would a mantle)


It's pretty easy and can be a great stash buster!

Spring Pennant Banner Tutorial

Grab your supplies:
scraps of spring colored fabric (I used some fat quarters)
thread
scissors
ruler
triangle (I made one out of cardboard)
ribbon, bias tape or rick rack

First iron out all of the wrinkles out of your fabric.
Then mark out your triangles using your template.  To make sure my triangles were exactly the same size, I doubled my fabric and cut two out at a time.

Now sew your triangle pieces right sides together using a 1/4" seam allowance.  You can sew only two sides or sew all the way around leaving a 2" space for turning.

Clip your corners, turn right side out.
Now iron your triangles flat.

Top stitch your triangles using a 1/8" seam allowance.  You only need to sew two sides, leaving the top open.  You can sew it if you want but it is not necessary.

Now place your pennants how you want them.  Sew your ribbon, rick rack or bias tape in place.  Hang and enjoy.

Easy right?  And the best part is that you can make these for any occasion.  I purchased a bunch of St. Patrick's day fabric that was 60% off and plan on making a pennant for next year.  I also plan on making a smaller version for my youngest daughter's room out of some left over pieces of Michael Miller fabric from her bedding and curtains.

These little lady's were my audience.  We brought them home the other day and our girls LOVE them! I can't wait until we are able to have some fresh eggs later this summer.

Comments

  1. Your banner is so cute! I hope the weather warms up for you guys soon. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The weather has been pretty nice here lately with some nice warm temps in the 70's.

      Delete

Post a Comment