Pinterest Friday: Sharpie Mug

A few weeks ago the husband and I decided to try coffee.  Yep we are in our 30's and had never enjoyed coffee before.  Now I LOVE me some tea but coffee just wasn't our thing.  We realized that we may not had been coffee people but others are.  These others stay at our home and I feel terrible that I don't ever have coffee ready for them.
Long story short, the husband brought home a Bodum french press and some Roasterie coffee and found that it is pretty tasty.  We now have three different kinds of coffee in our kitchen and I usually drink a cup a day.  This causes us to go through a lot of mugs, especially when we have people over.  I love all of these cute mugs that are out there but I am cheap and don't want to pay $5+ a mug.  Then I came across several pins on Pinterest about Sharpie mugs and thought I would give it a go.

**UPDATE**  I threw my mug in the dishwasher to see how it would hold up.  The black is still very vivid but the red bleached out to a very pale orange.  I would recommend dishing out the extra few $'s and purchasing the oil based sharpies.  They can be found at most hobby stores.

Here is what you will need:
*mug, I found mine at a thrift store for fifty cents
*sharpies, some say the oil based ones work the best but I didn't have any problem with regular Sharpies.
*inspiration, for mine I used the wonderful Doctor and this print I found on Etsy.

Make sure that your mug is clean and dry.  Give it a good scrub.

Now find your inner artist and, while using your Sharpies, draw your picture/image onto your mug.

You may want to go over your drawing one more time.  You want your image to be bold.  If you are using a lot of color, make sure that you go over at least twice.  Some of the color bleaches out during the curing period.

Place your mug in a cold oven.

Shut the oven door and turn the oven on and set to 350.  I have read different posts on how long to let the mugs cure.  I forgot about mine, oops, and left in for at least 45 minutes.  After at least 30 minutes, turn the oven off.  Leave your mug in the oven until it completely cools on its own.  I left my mug in overnight.

Put the kettle on.  Brew your favorite tea or coffee.  Turn on Doctor Who.  Enjoy your new mug.

This is a great Valentines Day gift too!  Think of all the possibilities!

Comments