2/341

It just took me 6 weeks but I finally finished my second book off of my list.  I have read George Orwells 1984 numerous times.  I remember the first time I read it.  I was either a junior or senior in high school and it was on our required reading list for my Language Arts class.  I absolutely loved my LA class.  Maybe it was because of my love of reading or maybe it was because of my crazy crazy teacher.  You could guarantee there would never be a dull day in her class.  She had (or has, not sure if she is still teaching) a great way of making people love literature.  We would not only read a book but read several versions of it.  We might read a play, the original writings, and writings  based on the book.  We would also watch one or several versions of movies or plays based on each work.  This allowed you to see the different viewpoints of authors and playwrights.

When we read 1984 I remember being amazed.  I had heard of George Orwell, we had read Animal Farm and watched the movie before, and had enjoyed his witty take on future reality.  After reading 1984 I knew that this would be my favorite of his writings.

A short history of the book is that Orwell wrote this in 1948.  He wrote this as a cautionary tale as to how the world would be by 1984 if we did not change our ways.  It is a frightening read.

This book should be on everyones short list of books to read in their lifetime.

Once you read the book you should hop on over to Netflix and watch the movie.  It stars the amazingly talented John Hurt as Smith and Richard Burton as O'Brien.


I am now currently reading Sylvia Plath's The Bell Jar.

Comments