Pinterest Friday: coconut oil

I absolutely love Pintrest.  Where else can you find beauty advice, recipes, sewing patterns and decorative ideas?  While on Pintrest several weeks ago I found this post about coconut oil.  My hair has not been feeling great due to this cold and windy weather we have been having lately.  So I drove myself down to my local Trader Joes and picked up a jar of oil.

It is a bit on the pricey side, $11 for one pint, but a little goes a very long way.  

According to the Pintrest post there is a whole melting and water stage but who has time for any of that?  I simply scooped out with a metal spoon (its a pretty solid oil) about a teaspoon at a time and rubbed it in my hands until it melted.  Coconut oil has a very low melting rate so it pretty much becomes soft just by touching it.  I thoroughly coated my hair making sure I rubbed it into my scalp and the ends of my hair.  I left it on for over an hour and then washed it out.  Because this is an oil I washed my hair twice with Jason shampoo, which I love!

My hair has done a complete makeover just by using this once.  My hair is much softer and manageable.  

Another use for coconut oil is as a diaper cream!  Since coconut oil has a low melting rate it is safe to use in cloth diapers!  Finally something that can be used with cloth that doesn't cost as much as your cloth diapers!  I haven't tried this myself lately due to the fact that my youngest has contracted a bit of yeast so we have been using some medicated cream but I do plan on using this in the future!

  

Comments

  1. I bought some coconut oil tonight from your inspiration. I found a 14 oz. jar for 5.99 at TJ Maxx. They also had another 14 oz. jar brand for 7.99. Can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment