Snowflake Envelope Pillow Tutorial

I have this obsession with pillows. I love the way a room can be changed simply by changing out your pillows. The bad side of this obsession is seeing the price tags on those adorable pillows. This is why I started making my own slipcovers. This tutorial can be used for any pillow, just skip the applique part.

Let me apologize for the poor pictures. I wasn't planning on posting this as a tutorial so the lighting is awful.
Supplies needed:
*fabric (1/2" - 1" longer and wider than the size of your pillow)
*felt or fabric for your applique (optional)
*sewing items, machine, thread, iron
Step 1:
Measure your pillow form. My pillow is 14"x14".
Step 2:
Measure and cut your fabric. Since my pillow is a 14"x14", I cut one piece of fabric (for the front) 14.5"x14.5" (I like my cover to fit a little snug). Now for the back, I cut two pieces of the same length of 9"x14.5". I like my back to have a sizable hangover so I added 4" in total length. So, if your pillow is a 20"x20" then you would want your back pillows to be 12"x20.
Step 3:
Take your two back pieces and iron down an 1/8" hem on the 9" side of each panel.
Step 4:
Do step #3 again, this will eliminate your raw edge for your envelope. Once you have your edge ironed over on each panel, top stitch these edges so that you have a nice clean line.
Step 5: (optional)
This is your applique step. I chose to use felt for mine because I didn't want to worry about all the raw edges of cotton. How you choose to attach your applique is up to you. I chose to hand stitch it. I like the look of hand stitching but the real reason was I didn't want to be up in my sewing room machine stitching it on when I could be downstairs watching a movie with my husband and girls and work on my hand stitching at the same time.
Step 6:
With right sides together, pin each back panel on top of your top panel. Make sure you have your nice sewn edges that you top stitched in the middle. Your panels should over lap by a couple of inches or so.
Step 7:
Sew all four sides. Now turn your pillow inside out using your envelope you created. Stuff your pillow. Place your pillow in a spot where everyone will see it.

Comments

  1. oh good, have been meaning to do something like this :) thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment