Nursing Pad Tutorial

Lately with #3's due date getting closer and closer, I have been thinking of things that I will need which I can make. I then remembered that with #2 I bought some amazing nursing pads from a seller on etsy. After searching etsy for some cute, but cheap, nursing pads I came to the conclusion that I should just make some.

This tutorial is extremely easy to where a beginner could do it.

Supplies Needed:
*fabric (I used 1/4 yd of flannel but cotton will work too)
*cotton batting (cotton is very important, don't use polyester)
*Circle template (I used a play mixing bowl of my daughters)
*Scissors
*Iron
*Sewing Machine (of course)
*Marking utensil (I like to live a little on the wild side and use a Sharpie)
*Straight Pins (optional)
Step 1:
Iron your outer fabric.
Step 1a:
Watch some good TV. I love CI!


Step 2:
On the back side of your fabric trace your circles on the outer and the batting. You will need 4 circles of the outer and two of the batting for one set of pads. After tracing, cut out your circles. Your circles do not have to be a certain size. Do make sure that it is 1/2" in diameter larger than you want your finished size to be.
Step 3:
Take two of your outer fabrics and place them right sides together. Now take your batting and place it on top. If you do better with pins, then pin your fabric together to prepare for sewing.
Step 4:
Sew your three pieces together. I recommend you sew with the batting facing up. If you have the batting on the bottom it is very likely your machine will get extremely dirty from batting fuzz. I used a 1/4" seam. Sew all the way around leaving a 1 1/2" or so opening for turning.
Step 5:
Turn your fabric right side out and iron. Ironing is an extra step that you don't have to do but it makes it a little bit easier to top stitch. Fold under the flap from where you turned and sew a top stitch using 1/8" on the entire circle.
Step 6:
You are almost done! After top stitching you will notice that your circle is a little wonky. To flatten it out just iron it using a hot setting (I used my hottest setting).


Congrats! You now have nursing pads. Like I stated above, I used 1/4 yard of flannel which produced 4 sets.

Comments